This Vegan Smoky Lentil Soup is an easy, healthy and beginner-friendly plant-based meal, that’s great for lunch or dinner, even if you are calorie counting!
Ingredients you’ll need:
- dry lentils
How to make this soup:
First, give your dry lentils a good rinse, then soak them for about 2 hours.
Wash, peel and chop the veggies.
Heat oil in your soup pot and caramelize the chopped onions. Add the smoked paprika powder, then add all your remaining ingredients (except the vinegar/lemon juice) and cook the soup for about 30-35 minutes.
After 30 minutes, taste the soup to check if you need to add salt or some more spices and add the vinegar or lemon juice.
When your soup is done, serve it with fresh bread!
There is nothing better, then a bowl of piping hot soup with freshly baked bread! 🙂 Enjoy!
Vegan Smoky Lentil Soup
- 1 1/2 cups green lentils (dry)
- 7 cups water
- 1 carrot (sliced)
- 1 parsnip (sliced)
- 1 big potato (chopped)
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 3 clove garlic (minced)
- 1 tbsp oil
- 3 tsp smoked paprika powder (unsalted)
- 1 tsp black pepper (ground)
- 1 1/2 tbsp salt
- 4 bay leaves
- 3 tsp white vinegar (or lemon juice)
- Rinse the dry lentils, then soak them for about 2 hours.
- When the lentils are done soaking, heat oil in a soup pot and caramelize the chopped onions. Add the smoked paprika and stir it around in the oil for around 10-15 seconds (on middle heat).
- Add the lentils, sliced carrots, parsnips, chopped potatoes, minced garlic, water, bay leaves, salt, pepper and cook the soup for about 30-35 minutes.
- At the end of the cooking, add the lemon juice/white vinegar.
- Serve with fresh bread. (optional)
More tasty vegan lunch recipes you’ll love:
Did you make this Vegan Smoky Lentil Soup recipe? Let me know in the comments!
6 thoughts on “Vegan Smoky Lentil Soup Recipe”
Made this meal this evening, and could not stop eating until it was all gone, yum?
I’m so glad to hear that, Steph! 🙂
Here’s a pro tip: it tastes even better the next day.
You never said when to add the lentils. With the veggies I presume?
You can add the lentils with the veggies.
10/10 everyone that tried it said it was one of the best soups they’ve ever had thank you for posting this wonderful recipe
Wow! What a compliment! I’m so glad to hear that! 🙂