This Vegan Lentil “Tuna” Spread is going to be your next favorite sandwich spread! Eat it for breakfast, lunch or as party food! It’s SUPER delicious, healthy and filling.
Every time I make this vegan lentil spread, I realize just how much I love legumes. Lentils are not only incredibly healthy, but also insanely tasty if made well.
I could eat lentils all day and all night.
This recipe is perfect for a lot of occasions. I have made it for breakfast, lunch and parties too! Needless to say, that everyone went crazy for it.
Even if you are not a big fan of lentils, give this recipe a try. It has a secret ingredient that makes it taste SO GOOD.
And that secret ingredient is….(drum roll) Mustard!
First caramelize the onion, then add the lentil and spices. Stir on medium heat for approximately 5 minutes, then combine with the mustard and garlic at the very end after you remove the pan from the heat.
Let your spread cool for about 5-15 minutes, then transfer to a food processor. Blend for 30 seconds or until you reach the desired consistency.
(If you don’t have a food processor at home, you can just mash your spread with a fork.)
Put your spread in the fridge for about 30 minutes, then serve on fresh bread with cucumber slices.
- Salt and pepper amounts are really hard to tell usually. That’s because everyone has a different taste and tolerance. For example, I like my food very salty and peppery. Just really strong flavors, in general.
- I always top this spread with fresh cucumber slices. It’s so good, you guys. Ugh.
Vegan Lentil “Tuna” Spread
This Vegan Lentil "Tuna" Spread makes a super easy lunch that's high in protein and rich in flavor. Beginner-friendly!
- 2 cup lentils cooked
- 1 head yellow onion finely chopped
- 2 small clove garlic
- 4 tsp mustard
- 4 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper ground
- 4 slices whole wheat bread toasted
- 1/3 medium cucumber sliced
- 1 cup spinach
Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a medium pan, then add the onion and caramelize. Add the lentils, salt and pepper.
Stir the mixture on medium heat for 5 minutes or less. When you're done, add the mustard and garlic at the end.
When you're done, let the mixture cool 5 minutes, then put it in a food processor and blend for 30 seconds or until you reach the desired consistency.
Place your spread in the fridge for 20 minutes.
Serve on baguette slices or in a sandwich with a few slices of fresh cucumber.
More fantastic vegan tuna recipes:
- “Tunafish” Sandwich from No Recipes
- “Better than Tuna” Salad from Full of Beans
- Tuna Salad Sandwich from Veganhuggs
More easy vegan recipes:
Did you make this vegan lentil “tuna” spread? Let me know in the comments!