So, you have decided to feed your furry babies a vegan/plant-based diet. Good for you (and your cute doggo)! Luckily, dogs are not obligate carnivores, so they can thrive on a plant based diet (it’s even better for them).
To help you out a bit, in this article, I have collected a few information you should know beforehand: giving your best friend something they shouldn’t eat, the best vegan dog food brands and homemade treat recipes. (There is nothing better than homemade, after all.)
Let’s get into it!
Vegan Dog Food Brands and Homemade Recipes
Before giving your dog any food they haven’t had before, consult your veterinarian about it first!
What should you feed your dog?
What shouldn’t you feed your dog?
- Chocolate, Coffee and Caffeine
- Coconut and Coconut Oil
- Grapes and Raisins
- Macadamia Nuts
- Milk and Dairy, Eggs
- Certain Nuts
- Onions, Garlic, Chives
- Raw/Undercooked Meat, Eggs and Bones
- Salt and Salty Snack Foods
- Yeast Dough
Vegan Dog Food Brands
V-Dog is a fully vegan dog food company, created by family business based in California, run by animal lovers. They don’t use corn, soy, wheat, fillers or any animal products in their dog food.
V-Dog is probably the most popular vegan dog food brand out there.
- V-Dog Vegan “Kinder Kibble” Dry Dog Food
- V-Dog Vegan Breathbones Dog Treats – regular
- V-Dog Vegan Breathbones Dog Treats – minis
- V-Dog Organic Wiggle Biscuits (Peanut Butter)
Halo offers a few different type of dog food products and they have 2 popular vegan varieties as well.
Their vegan products:
- “Garden of Vegan” Canned Wet Dog Food
- Liv-a-Littles Healthsome Vegan Dog Biscuits (Low Fat, Grain-free)
These products don’t have rice in them. They contain completely plant-based protein from lower glycemic peas and chickpeas, non-GMO vegetables and fruits, no artificial colors or flavors and no preservatives of any kind. They come in BPA free cans.
Vegan Dog Treat Recipes
If you already have you doggie’s main food sorted out, but you would like to surprise them with some healthy treats, here you will find a few great recipes.
1. Sweet Potato & Spinach Bites by Vegannie
2. Sweet Pea Spinach Oatmeal Bites by Vegannie
3. Mashed Potato Bites by Vegannie
4. 3-Ingredient Dog Treats by The Plant Philosophy
5. Frozen Spinach Cantaloupe Treat by Doggy Dessert Chef
6. Sweet Potato Apple Bites by Doggy Dessert Chef
What are your favorite vegan dog food brands and homemade recipes? Share with us in the comments!