This Vegan Mexican Quinoa is a plant-based, high-protein and super flavorful meal, that you can enjoy as a healthy weight loss dinner, or a quick, filling work lunch (in a burrito) as well!
The ingredients you’ll need:
- black beans
- bell pepper
- smoked and sweet paprika powder
- tomato puree
- bay leaves
If you do not yet know how to cook perfectly fluffy quinoa, I recommend you this blog post.
It’s super easy and quick, I promise!
The secret is to always rinse the quinoa to get rid of its bitter outer coating and to salt the water!
(To get around 2 cups of cooked quinoa, you need 1/2 cup dry quinoa+1 cup of water.)
Soo, after you are done cooking the quinoa, start by heating some oil in a medium pan and caramelize the chopped onions.
Add all the ingredients (except for the chopped green bell peppers) to the pan.
Stir the seasoned and mixed quinoa for a few minutes on low heat, then after 10 minutes or so, add the chopped bell peppers and serve.
You can serve this Mexican quinoa with slices of jalapeño peppers, lime juice and cut up tortilla wrap (how I like it) or tortilla chips.
Vegan Mexican Quinoa
- 2 cup cooked quinoa (cooked in slightly salted water)
- 1 can black beans
- 1/2 can corn
- 1 small onion (finely chopped)
- 1 bell pepper (chopped)
- 2 tsp oil
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 3 tsp smoked paprika powder
- 2 tsp sweet paprika powder
- chilli powder (to taste)
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 cup water
- jalapeño peppers
- lime juice
- tortilla wrap or chips
- Rinse 1/2 cup of dry quinoa and cook it with 1 cup of water (+1/2 tsp salt).
- Heat oil in a pan. Caramelize the chopped onion, then add all the ingredients (except for the chopped bell peppers.)
- Stir the seasoned and mixed quinoa for a few minutes on low heat, then after 10 minutes or so, add the chopped bell peppers and serve.
More tasty vegan dinner recipes you’ll love:
Did you make this Vegan Smoky Mexican Quinoa recipe? Let me know in the comments!