This Budget Friendly “Buddha Bowl” is a super cheap, but healthy and plant-based, vegan meal that’s full of flavors! Forget boring rice and beans, potatoes and tofu are so much better. 😉
We all have days/weeks/months when the food budget is a little bit tighter for various reasons. If you are too bored of the good ol’ black beans +rice combination, this “Buddha bowl” is just for you.
Altogether it costs around $1.5 and for that small price it’s such a satisfying and filling lunch/dinner!
(See my cheap vegan meals roundup for more affordable recipes under $1.5 per serving.)
Made with crunchy potatoes, tofu, red onion and pickles as an extra.
Start by cutting a block of firm tofu into 8 equal slices. Put them in a bowl and add spices of your choice. (I used salt, pepper and soy sauce. It turned out to be really tasty.)
Chop the potatoes and the onion into smaller chunks, then season them. You can fry the potatoes or bake them in the oven. Depends on how healthy you want them to be.
Heat a bit of oil in a medium pan, then add the tofu and onions. You can leave the tofu in place, but stir around the onion chunks until they get caramelized and softened a bit.
When you are done, just put all of them in a bowl and feast!
Vegan Budget Friendly “Buddha Bowl”
- 1 block firm tofu
- 4 small potatoes
- 1 big red onion
- 3-4 pickles
- 1,5 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp oil
- Cut the block of tofu into 8 even pieces and season it with soy sauce, salt and pepper.
- Cut the potatoes and onions into wedges then season them as well.
- Bake or fry the potatoes.
- Heat oil in a medium pan, add the chopped tofu and onion. While leaving the tofu in place, stir around the onion until it gets soft and caramelized.
- Turn the tofu over and leave it for another 3-4 minutes.
- Put everything in a bowl and serve with pickles.
More filling dinner recipes:
Did you make this vegan Budget Friendly “Buddha Bowl”? Let me know in the comments!